Thursday, December 18, 2008

Austria! Gluhwein!

Hey all,

I just got home from Vienna last weekend. I went for 5 beautiful days in the beautiful city. It was kind of amazing so I will cover several details. The first night I did nothing because I got in so late. The second day started in the morning. I went for a "superWalk" around pretty much the entire city. I saw museums, old buildings, the old church, and everything inbetween. What is in between? Christmas Markets. A christmas market is a phenomenon not well known in the United States. Basically it is a market for the holiday spirit. Well decorated and loved by all, the entire town gathers at these numerous markets to mingle and sing. Occasionally, meaning every few minutes, people refill their fancy mugs with wonderful hot wine. The next day I went to Rathaus, University of Vienna, and the Medical school. The 4th day I took a wonderful trip to Shoenbrunn to see the Castle and the Arch. Shoenbrunn is a castle built some 300 years ago for the emporer. Not fair. In the square there was a HUGE christmas market where I tried even more gluhwein (hot wine), and punsch (other flavored version similar to gluhwein). From the arches, you can see all of Vienna. Also they have plenty of Christmas decorations and knick-nacks for sale. The final day I visited Belvedere which is another Palace in Vienna with outstanding views. The christmas market there was okay, but nothing like Rathaus(the best one).

While in Vienna, I stayed with my friend Claudia and her sister. They were wonderful hosts. They made me some very traditional Austrian food as well as forcing me to eat many bratwursts and Vienniese treats. In return, I made them some good ole' fashion American chocolate chip cookies...Delicious! I love Austria and plan to go back skiing sometime soon. If you want to go, then go, but make sure it is Christmas time, or the city could be a bit boring.

See ya soon,

William

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones